Saturday, January 24, 2009

TOP 15 Fruits & Veggies with Highest Levels of Pesticides - Green Food - 2009.Jan.24

Green Food.

Top 15 Fruits and Veggies you should buy Organic.

Should I buy organic fruits and vegetables ? They sometimes are so much more expensive. When I am doing my weekly shopping for fresh produce I am faced with so many decisions. I have started buying some organic produce for our family. My oldest is 10 years old, my second is 7.5 years old, and my youngest just turned 1 and wow have things changed since my oldest was just starting to eat "real people food". I am so concerned about all the food I feed my children and am trying to make good choices all the time, but I am especially concerned about all the new foods the baby is eating.

So, how do you know when to buy organic. I found this web-site that monitors the pesticide levels in fruits and veggies and below is a list of the 15 worst offenders for pesticides. I am going to print off this list and put in my purse when I go shopping and am faced with decisions about buying organic.

The produce ranking was developed by analysts at the not-for-profit Environmental Working Group (EWG) based on the results of nearly 43,000 tests for pesticides on produce collected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration between 2000 and 2005. A detailed description of the is available as well as a full list of fresh fruits and vegetables that have been tested at EWG's web-site.

The TOP 15 Fruits & Veggies with highest levels of pesticides:
  1. Peaches - 100 (highest pesticide load)
  2. Apples - 96
  3. Sweet Bell Peppers - 86
  4. Celery - 85
  5. Nectarines - 84
  6. Strawberries - 83
  7. Cherries - 75
  8. Lettuce - 69
  9. Grapes - Imported - 68
  10. Pears - 65
  11. Spinach - 60
  12. Potatoes - 58
  13. Carrots - 57
  14. Green Beans - 55
  15. Hot Peppers - 53

EWG is a not-for-profit environmental research organization dedicated to improving public health and protecting the environment by reducing pollution in air, water and food.

SOURCE: http://www.ewg.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment